Thursday, July 24, 2014

November 1st, 2013

Good Morning Gentlemen,


I would like to give you all a good old East Coast greeting! This will seem to be quite a bit early but keep in mind I am one time zone ahead of you. I just finished studying for a quiz I have tomorrow morning and decided to send this out so I won't have to worry about it in the morning. Keep up the hard work brothers, this is the start of something great.

Inspiration: This Wednesday I attended a conference at Pitt where the winners of last years Nobel Peace Prize in Physics were speaking about their research.. I was amazed that I was in the presence of some spectacular individuals that have already changed the world in such an amazing way, and that I was part of such an important moment in history. Though these individuals were Nobel Peace Prize winners, they were willing to answer questions regarding their experiments and research to all of us students and professors with less experience. We should all take this as a lesson for when we do become successful in life. We must remember to take time to give back to those who don't know as much as us, or don't have the opportunities we have. Also, during the presentation the professors who were conducting research mentioned that multiple "UNDERGRADUATE" students participated in their ground breaking research! That means that many students like us are now going down in history as participating in Nobel Prize winning research. Sadly the information was too advanced for me so I could not fully understand what they were talking about, though their research on the Higgs Boson was tremendously inspiring. More relevantly though, this should help inspire us to reach for the stars in our respective fields, and aim to achieve the greater reward.

Encouragement: Today I read that Syria has had many of its chemical weapon facilities shutdown. Since the Arab spring that erupted during our sophomore year, rebel fighters have been fighting for the liberties that we take for granted everyday. These men, women, and children have been given a glimmer of hope today as the U.N, U.S, and other countries/coalitions take steps to make Syria accountable for what it has been doing for the past 2.5 years. We should remember that we are given the opportunity to express ourselves, do what we want, and pursue our dreams. Don't forget that. Whenever I feel tired, beat down, or stressed out by life, I remember that I am one village, one family, one sibling away from remaining in Africa. If my parents hadn't come over to the U.S., I wouldn't have the education I am receiving now. Remember brothers that we are given an opportunity that others dream of. If you can't put in the work for yourself, or your ambitions, do it for those who would. Do it for those who don't have the option to. Do it so someday, you can ensure that everyone who has something to give to the world has a just opportunity to refine his/her talents.

Testimonial: This week I plan to participate in more conferences, seminars, and workshops. I plan to contribute to all my organizations, but most importantly I plan to put in the work to succeed in all my subjects by studying more for my upcoming tests and attending office hours like I have this week. By managing my time successfully, and making the most of the many opportunities I have been graced with, I plan to excel in all I do for myself, my family, and the League as a whole...so help me God. Furthermore: During my one-on-one with one of my counselors today I was told something very important. Mr. Saunders told me, "Emeka, everyone is called to do something in life...but some are also chosen...I can tell by how you carry yourself, and how you lead others that your are special. I can tell that you have been chosen to do something great, I can't tell what yet, but I can tell you are chosen." I swear to you guys as he was saying this to me, I couldn't help but start thinking of all of you, and of the League. Ethan was right, people are noticing, people are starting to realize that we as individuals strive for something more than above average. We want to achieve things that others fear undertaking. However the truth is, I fear what the future may hold. I plan to enroll in a dual-degree program, participate in study abroad, co-ops, internships, research, and many other things in my undergraduate career. Many would look at me and say it is impossible, some will say it will overwhelm me, but I will not waver. I know I have 5 brothers out there who are sacrificing just as much to achieve similar things in life as me. Will you all continue to choose the greater reward ? I know I will.


Till next time Gentlemen,

Chukwuemeka K. Ukaga
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Sorry I forgot to add that Kris Singh will be addressing us tomorrow.


Stay driven,


Chukwuemeka K. Ukaga

No comments:

Post a Comment